University of South Alabama men’s basketball head coach John Pelphrey and assistant coach Tom Ostrom will conduct a coaching clinic in Taiwan from May 10-12. The coaching staff was invited by the Chinese Taipei Basketball Association.
The primary purpose of the clinic is to provide Taiwanese coaches with a deeper understanding of the American style on the court, which will include full-court offense and various defensive strategies.
CTBA invited the University of South Alabama coaching staff with the help from Steve Chen, a former coach in Taiwan and current professor at the United States Sports Academy in Daphne, Alabama.
“We are looking for several different ways to continue this relationship between the University of South Alabama and the Chinese Taipei Basketball Association,” Chen said.
JOHN PELPHREY PROFILE
Birthdate: July 18, 1968
Hometown: Paintsville, Ky.
College Playing Experience: Four years at the University of Kentucky (1989-1992)
Professional Playing Experience: Two years in France and Spain in 1992 and 1993
Coaching Experience: Head Coach – South Alabama (2003-present); Assistant Coach – Oklahoma State University (1993-94); Marshall University (1994-96); University of Florida (1996-2002).
Other things to note:
* He is one of 29 former Kentucky Wildcat players to have his jersey retired (#34)
* In 1987, Pelphrey was named Mr. Basketball for the state of Kentucky at Paintsville High School. Finished his prep career with 2,477 points and 1,316 rebounds
* In high school, he was a pitcher and a shortstop for the baseball team
* All-SEC first-team forward in 1991; second team by AP
* Played on 1992 Kentucky team that lost to Duke in the NCAA Elite Eight, a game that is considered one of the best games of all-time
* Started 90 of 114 games at Kentucky and finished his career with an 11.0 scoring average
Record at South Alabama